Sunday, 20 May 2012

Lamp Refinish

This lamp has been hanging around in our basement since we moved in almost 8 years ago. I'm not sure if it had the shade or if we got rid of it on one of our "purges". When I picked up the thrift store makeover lamp  I remembered that I had this lamp sitting downstairs and thought it would make a great addition to our living room. I had originally planned on spray painting the entire thing white at the same time as the thrift store lamp, but when I brought it up to clean it I realized that the paint was on the inside of the glass and that it was chipping away. I have seen a lot of glass lamps around so I was very excited at the prospect of having my own!


This is the lamp before I started any work on it.



I took the lamp out to the shop and took it apart. The first thing I did was remove all the paint from the inside of the glass. Most just rubbed right off and what was still slightly adhered, I used my fingernail to scrape off. I taped the areas I didn't want to paint and put a plastic bag around the glass. 






I originally thought I would paint the base and neck white, but realized that it wouldn't really suit this lamp. I used Rustoleum White Primer & Paint.




I thought that a silver / metallic paint would be better so I purchased Rustoleum Hammered Finish paint. Well I didn't like it at all. I thought I would try to let it grow on me so I had it in the house for a couple weeks, but I knew I had to paint it sooner rather than later! I picked up the shade on sale at Walmart for $9.99 - I love it!


Back to the store I went and I picked up a bronzed oil spray paint. I am SO happy with the way it turned out and now looking back at these pictures am really glad I went with the other paint!


Well this project didn't turn out quite as inexpensive as I had hoped with having to change the colour twice, but I am really happy with the results!

Project Cost

Lamp - Free as I already had it on hand
Shade - $9.99 Walmart
Rustoleum White Primer & Paint - Free as I already had it on hand
Rustoleum Hammered Finish Spray Paint - $10.99 
Spray Paint in Bronzed oil finish - $6.99
Total Cost of this project approximately $30.00

1 comment:

  1. This looks fantastic, Wendy! You definitely made the right call going with Oil-Rubbed Bronze.

    Lucky you that the paint peeled off the inside of the base! It looks so modern with the clear glass.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!