Monday, 21 May 2012

Subway Art

Have you seen the Subway Art that is floating all around these days? I really like the looks of it so thought it would complement our gallery wall and give it just the right finishing touch.
I found a suitable board in our wood shed and had DP cut it to the size I thought would fit the space. I then painted it with DecoArt Crafters Acrylic Black paint. 

I printed out the names of a few cities and towns where we live close to, have visited and where relatives live. I used a couple different fonts in Microsoft Word. My original thought was to transfer the wording and then paint them. I tried this on Vancouver and Sydney, but wasn't happy with the results so I began cutting all the letters out to make my own stencils. This was A LOT of work (and sore hands from using kids scissors!) but the results were worth it. I just realized that I didn't take any photos of the stenciling - sorry! I used the same method on the Growth Chart if you would like to see how it was done.


After the stencils were ready, I taped them to the board and proceeded to paint them with DecoArt Crafters Acrylic Light Antique White. Once dry I carefully removed the stencil. There were a few places where I had applied a bit too much paint so I had to use the black paint to do a few touch ups. 


I wanted to have a rough looking border so I painted the side of a ruler and pressed down on the board, dragging the ruler slightly. I also put a couple of lines through some of the wording for a different effect.

I did a light sanding, wiped the entire surface with a cloth and then applied DecoArt Glazing Medium. 

I am super happy with the result - just wish I had of included more places of where we have been!

2 comments:

  1. Another beauty, Wendy!

    The border around the artwork adds the perfect finishing touch. This totally looks like something you could buy at Winners and HomeSense tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! I had no idea you started a blog until I just saw it on pinterest! Love your style, and I will be repining! I look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve. See you later, and say hi to Egg for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!