Sunday, 27 May 2012

Teachers Gifts

I can hardly believe that the end of the school year is upon us! NP is finishing up Nursery School this Friday and will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. 

I checked out some great teacher gift ideas on Pinterest and came up with these fun holders that can be used as a photo, recipe or post-it note holder. 

When we were coming up with a name for the blog, my 7-year-old daughter came up with the name "Hearts & Crafts". I thought it was brilliant but figured that someone else must have come up with that one already. I did think it would be a great name for a page/tab within the blog. CP has been asking me for quite some time when I was going to post something to that page so this week that is what we are focusing on. I hope you enjoy the first of many posts to come (I love doing crafts!) on HEARTS & CRAFTS!
The first thing I did was head to the wood shed with NP and pick out a piece of wood that would work well for this project. I originally thought they would all be post-it note holders so wanted a piece of wood that was just the right size for these. I found a nice piece of maple that we had left over from our renovations. 

I took it to the shed and gave it a light sanding with my new sander. I never thought I would be excited about owning a power tool or that I would get one for my own use! Thank you Canadian Tire for having a sale when I needed it!

About the time I finished sanding, DP arrived home and cut the board into three pieces. I gave the cut edges a light sanding as well. 

I spray painted each of the boards with Krylon Ivory. After this was dry, I sprayed two of the boards with the Krylon Bronzed Oil I had on hand and the other board  with Krylon Cherry Red. 




I purchased a couple pieces of cute scrapbook paper and cut them with my paper cutter to fit the board, leaving enough of the board showing to act as a border. 

I then tried out the Mod Podge technique I've read about often but hadn't yet tried. The first thing is to coat the back of your paper with Mod Podge, applying with a paint brush. Position the paper (Mod Podge side down) on the board and let it dry. Once the piece is dry, apply a coat of Mod Podge to the entire surface. To achieve a canvas-look to your piece, run your paint brush over the surface in the opposite direction as originally applied. I cannot believe how easy this process was and the brilliant results!



Once the surface was dry, I cut some ribbon to add as an embelishment. I used tacky glue to adhere the ribbon. I had picked up some adorable mini clothes pins and CP really wanted me to use them on the holder that will be given to her teacher. I used the tacky glue to adhere these. 
Don't you love this squirrel?!


I wanted the other two holders to have the versatility to act as a holder for photos, recipes or post-it notes (the original intention) so decided to use a bulldog clip. I measured to the middle of the board and marked where I wanted the clip attached. DP inserted a screw through the bulldog clip to attach it to the board. 




 I can't wait for the girls to give these gifts to their teachers! Now I have to make one for myself!



 

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome, Wendy and so versatile!

    I was just about to say the squirrel is so cute and then you said it for me!

    I spotted Krylon's version of ORB for sale at Walmart for the first time the other day and was very tempted to buy a can. Now that I've seen it in action, I love the dark finish of it (is it the same ORB as your lamp redo?)

    You have been a busy, busy lady this month!

    Have a great Monday :)

    P.S. I don't think I can check the no-reply blogger thing unless it's a new comment since I reply through Hotmail. I posted something new today if you want to test it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!