Sunday, 17 June 2012

Music Teacher Gift

017 Tuesday is CP’s last piano lesson until fall and is also her recital. It amazes me how well she and the others do to get up on stage in front of more than just family and play their best. It is such a proud moment!

I wanted to make a gift for Mrs. G using sheet music.
These great projects gave me some inspiration and guided me to know which direction to go with this project. 

I purchased some sheet music at a local book sale for $.50 knowing that I would use it for artwork. I removed the middle pages and then cut them to size (8.5 x 11) with my paper cutter. 
 003005

Graphics Fairy has wonderful vintage clipart available for free so I copied a beautiful butterfly and pasted it into a Microsoft Works document. I tried to download it and then insert it, but didn’t have any luck with that so had to improvise. I used word processors for so many things they are actually not meant for. I really need to invest in Publisher! After inserting the image, I dragged it to the desired location on the page, placed the sheet music into the printer tray and printed the image in colour. 
008009   
I had a 8.5 x 11 blank canvas on hand so I had CP apply a coat of Mod Podge to the canvas using a paint brush. We then placed the sheet music on top, smoothed out the image as best as we could and let it dry.
010014015

After it was dry she applied another coat of Mod Podge to the top of the image. She applied it using brush strokes horizontally and I went over it after she was done vertically. This gives the image more of a canvas look. I had considered purchasing a stamp to antique the edges, but she liked it as it was so we left it that way.  
  016 017 018

I will purchase a plate stand at Dollarama and then we will present our gift at the recital. It didn’t turn out quite as I had hoped, but I hope she likes it. I think the next time I would prefer to adhere the music to a piece of wood (similar to the teachers’ gifts) or dip the music in coffee to give it a more aged feel.

Total cost of this project: $2.75
Sheet music - $0.50
Canvas - $1.25
Stand - $1.00 (I’m guessing this as I haven’t picked on up yet)
Mod Podge, paintbrush – Free as I had it on hand

1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous!! I wish I'd seen this in time for our DD's recital! LOVE the 'hearts and crafts' name too... so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!