Monday, 19 November 2012

Repurposed Sweater

026 I’m beginning to see a common theme in my recent projects – Pinterest. I have to admit that I love going on Pinterest. I have found so many great ideas not only for my projects but for school as well.

While browsing the latest pins, I came across many ideas for repurposing old knit sweaters. I knew I had some in my closet, but once I started pulling them out I was quite surprised with how many there are. I honestly don’t think I’ve bought any of them for myself. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been given them as gifts or had them handed down to me by my sister-in-law or my cousin. I am pretty spoiled when it comes to handy-me-down clothes and I’m not ashamed to say it. In the past couple of years I’ve found that I’m usually too warm in these sweaters. I think it was a little different when I was on the west coast as you always have that dampness with you, but here on the Prairies the dry cold doesn’t seem to stay with me the same. I decided that I could make much better use of these sweaters in different ways than wearing them.

002

I picked out this cute sweater / vest that was a little too small for me and I wasn’t sure if I would be comfy with the neckline / collar. I grabbed one of our throw pillows and stuffed it into the sweater and it looked cute. I grabbed my scissors and got busy cutting off the sleeves and collar.  003008

The width on the body of the sweater was perfect for the new pillow so I didn’t have to do any sewing along those edges, but I did have to stitch the arm holes and top edge. When I put the pillow into the new cover I could see the blue from it coming through. I opened up that blue cover and realized it was just the filling inside so I pulled it all out and stuffed it into the new pillow cover.

 009 010 011

I turned one end of the bottom cuff over the other and hand-basted it together. I then added two buttons that I came across in my grandma’s old sewing basket.

026 025

I’m really happy with the way it looks and I can’t wait to get cutting up some more sweaters!

I also made a toque with the collar which I will show you in a future post.

Have you repurposed any sweaters?

~ Wendy ~

1 comment:

  1. I love all the sweater repurposing projects these days and this makes me want to start cutting! What a cozy look you achieved with minimal effort :) The buttons from Grandma's sewing basket are the perfect finishing touch, Wendy!

    I'm having the opposite experience with sweaters this year - I just can't get warm enough in my classroom so I keep pulling out sweaters that in the past were way too hot to teach in. I hate thinking about the layers I'll be wearing once it's actually cold!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love to hear comments so please feel free to leave one!